Sunday, May 17, 2009

H1N1 comes to Kansai

I've probably already mentioned that I live behind a high school. My front door faces the school's yard. This means during the day, seven days a week, I hear the softball team and the soccer team and the handball team practicing and chanting.

Today, it rained. So the yard was empty. But it turns out that the weather did not keep the kids away. The flu did.















Schools in Osaka have closed because H1N1 has spread here. Yuki just found out from a classmate that her school has shut down for a week. She just received a second Golden Week.

Now that I think back, it was strange that the high school was completely empty. Even if the teams were idle, there should have been students there for band practice, or judo practice or dozens of other club activities. A Japanese school is always alive with activity.

A related aside:
Earlier last week, Yuki told me that in one of her classes, she sat next to a Mexican student. The student was coughing on and off. And the student told her that he had gone back home during Golden Week. But he felt okay.

Argggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!

If you never hear from me again, I love you all.

1 comment: